Spotted in Manila, 2014

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Building, teaching, feasting


We have spent 2 full days working at the Habitat site now and it has quickly become my favorite part of the day. I'm finding it meditative to find myself a comfortable position and nail hundreds of nails for hours each day. Today I counted 457 but I'll do better tomorrow.
We met our students and my teaching team was... shocked. After spending hours planning lessons for 8 year olds, we met our group of ten 12-14 year olds. We made up a lesson plan on the spot with games and a performance of an etude by me. I was extremely disappointed with myself and how I handled the situation. I was so frustrated and inflexible that I let it really upset me on the job. That is something I would like to improve in my life in general: my flexibility. I'll keep working on it!
image
We did an activity where I performed several contrasting orchestral excerpts (Figaro, Tchaik 4, Rite of Spring) and as I played asked the students move with their bodies reflecting the style I was playing in. The kids were very creative and hilarious. Following the activity, we asked what they were thinking while doing the activity. One student, Alecia responded, "I felt rich when you played because it was classical music". I was struck by this statement. Why has classical music become something for only the elite? I explained to her that it doesn't have to be like that, that she can enjoy this kind of music too. And that if only she could see ME paychecks, she would understand that music isn't just for the rich.
The evening concluded with an alligator caesar salad on the Mississippi River with beignets at Cafe du Monde for dessert, and a bassoon lesson with team member and saxophonist, Braxton.
image
Alligator caesar
image
Lesson with Braxton

No comments:

Post a Comment