Spotted in Manila, 2014

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rise and Shine Academy week 2

I was so excited to get back to work at Rise and Shine this Monday. The weekend felt so long without seeing the students!

Brian and I taught together on Monday, working with the students on recorder. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes teaching with Brian, with whom I have taught for month already. The students decided what they would like to perform on Saturday and we spent our class rehearsing the material. All four classes, A, B, C, and D unanimously decided they would like to perform the songs they learned, "Mandazis" and "Ugali Song". These are both staple foods of Kenya which we used instead of "Hot Cross Buns". To the same tune, the students sing (and play on recorder) "Mandazis, mandazis, I like eating, I like eating mandazis" and "Ugali, ugali, I like eating, I like eating ugali".

On Tuesday, Christina and I discussed melody and accompaniment with the students. In classes A and B (the younger classes), the students composed an accompaniment figure to a new song they learned, the Itsy Bitsy Spider. The accompaniment was made up of beat patterns created with claps, thigh slaps, stomps, and snaps. Then with classes C and D, the students composed similar accompaniment figures to melodies of songs they sang as children in small groups of three. We used this to teach toward Stravinsky's "Suite for Small Orchestra", a piece that has very clear accompaniment figures supporting a folk melody. Then, the students performed their creations for the rest of the class and their peers identified who was in the role of melody and accompaniment.

Today, Ellen and I taught a very special lesson. With classes A and B, we composed a new accompaniment figues for the Itsy Bitsy Spider which they will perform with accompaniment at their performance on Saturday. In the afternoon, classes C and D wrote songs. Ellen and I found a few quotes from the students journals and created sentences which the students would complete to turn into a rondo. Since they know all about rondo form now, they knew the would need to compose a class refrain which they will all sing, and then in small groups they would compose episodes. Class C wrote a song about their community and class D's song was about individuality. These were the prompts we gave the classes.

Class C Refrain:
A community is ______________. I have an important role in my community. We are here together to help each other.

Class C Episode:
My role in the community is ___________. I ________, ________, and ________. My community needs me.

Class D Refrain:
Being an individual means ____________. I am an individual. I am unique. I love myself.

Class D Episode:
I am unique because _____________. _________ is my style. I love what I have in my life.

All of these words were taken from the student's journals and they were very excited to see their own words turned into song. In their groups they filled in the blanks here and composed these complete rondos:

Class C: Community
A community is a group of people who share a common goal. I have an important role in my community. We are here together to help each other.

My role in the community is helping the needy. I help my family, and work. My community needs me.

A community is a group of people who share a common goal. I have an important role in my community. We are here together to help each other.

My role in the community is to help elders and poor, my role in the community. My community really needs me.

A community is a group of people who share a common goal. I have an important role in my community. We are here together to help each other.

My role in the community is helping the poor. Sharing ideas, common goals, and visions. My community needs me.

Class D: Individuality

Being an individual means being special and unique from the rest. I am an individual. I am unique. I love myself.

I am unique because I differ from the rest. Mingling is my style. I love what I have in my life.

Being an individual means being special and unique from the rest. I am an individual. I am unique. I love myself.

I am unique because I'm different. Being specific is my style. I love what I have in my life.

Being an individual means being special and unique from the rest. I am an individual. I am unique. I love myself.

I am unique because I compose beautiful music. Music is my style. I love what I have in my life.

The songs they created were really moving and I can't wait to keep rehearsing them for the performance and premiere on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment