Spotted in Manila, 2014

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Arriving at Shanti Bhavan

I am writing this brief entry by the light of my flashlight, and periodic lightening strikes that illuminate my room during an evening power outage here in India. I arrived in Bangalore on Wednesday morning at 4am from a long flight from Houston (via 23 hours in London, and 22 hours in Frankfurt!). It was an exhilarating adventure that I lived to the fullest, thanks to a 3 day adrenaline rush. So of course it felt amazing to collapse onto my scratchy, creaky, musty, and GLORIOUS bed.

Since our arrival on campus at Shanti Bhavan, our bright-eyed, and inspiring team has worked together to prepare our lessons, classrooms, and brains for the teaching-weeks to come. As wonderful as it is to spend time getting to know each other and this new country, we are anxious to get into the classrooms with students. Luckily, it begins tomorrow with our opening performance and welcome!

That's all for now, as I try to conserve my computer battery (since who knows how long the power outage will be!)

Found in my diary from 2 days ago:

First impressions of India and Shanti Bhavan:
I'm hot. This means cold bucket showers feel good. 
How refreshing, to be woken up by birds outside my window that are not grackles and pigeons (see quickly-growing bird count on next page)
OBSESSED with the jackfruit tree.
Still haven't seen a scorpion... Waiting, wishing
There's no way I will get sick of this food.
How will I ever capture the beauty of all of these flowers in just a photograph?
Glitter all over--saris, bangles, sandles, why don't we all try to put this much bling in our lives?
COLORS!!! Clay-red soil, every-shade-of-green palm trees, ocean-blue sky, pastel-purple houses
How am I so lucky to be here?!







No comments:

Post a Comment